Care for your Wig
Learn how to properly care for your wig so it looks its best, and to extend its lifespan.
Step 1 (Prepare)Gently brush your hair system with a wide-tooth comb or brush starting at the ends working your way slowly up the hair shaft to the root area before getting your hair wet. Remember to wash your wig approximately every 15 wears and treat it as a delicate garment.
Step 2 (Wash)
- Human Hair: Gently mix 2 capfuls of Wig Whisperer Argan Oil Shampoo in warm water until sudsy.
- Synthetic: Gently mix 2 capfuls of Wig Whisperer Kera Smooth Shampoo in cool water until sudsy.
Step 3 (Swish)To decrease matting, DO NOT drop wig into the water or rub/twist the hair. Hold the wig gently and swish it back and forth in water so the hair doesn’t tangle or knot.
Step 4 (Rinse)Use cool water (for synthetic) or warm water (for human hair). Hold wig and swish hair repeatedly until the product is completely rinsed. Use a towel to blot hair dry. Do not rub, brush or comb.
Step 5 (Condition)
- Human Hair: Place wig on a towel. Apply Wig Whisperer Argan Oil Conditioner to ends with wide-tooth comb, continuing up the hair shaft to within 2” of the scalp. Rinse repeatedly until conditioner is rinsed completely. CAUTION: Too much conditioner on root area may make knots slip.
- Synthetic: Place wig on Styrofoam head and spray 2-4 pumps of Wig Whisperer Leave-In Spray Conditioner (do not rinse) and let air dry naturally.
Step 6 (Dry)Towel blot dry hair (do not wring or twist). Place wig on Styrofoam head provided. Be sure to position the wig so it is level on the head to ensure the correct part placement (left or right). Part hair in the direction you would like to wear the hair when wig is dry. Let air dry to maintain the soft touch and shine.
Step 7 (Style)
- Human Hair: Once hair is thoroughly dry, use Wig Whisperer Thermal Spray to protect the hair from heat (blow dryer, flat, or curling iron) and style it just like your own hair. You can apply desired hair products, wig shines, hair sprays, and gels, but remember: Less is more.
- Synthetic: DO NOT USE HEAT TO STYLE OR IT WILL MELT! Once washed properly, it will bounce back to its original shape and texture. Apply desired Wig Whisperer hair products, wig shines, hair sprays, and gels, but remember: Less is more.
- Heat Resistant Synthetic: Clean and condition as you would synthetic. Use Wig Whisperer Heat Treatment Spray to protect wig prior to using flat iron or curling iron. Use Wig Whisperer Leave-In Spray Conditioner daily with a wide-tooth comb from the bottom up. Do not pull hard on knotted hair. Styling tool must NOT BE HOTTER than 250 degrees.
Step 8 (Put It On)
- Wig Cap: Wig cap or net can be worn with or without hair to create smooth surface before putting wig on.
- Wig Grip: Put wig grip on like a headband with label inside and on left. Apply band over your ears, then pop them out to insure the grip is low enough behind the ears. Fasten Velcro in back. If on correctly, you will feel the grip when you rub your finger on the band backwards, and smooth when you rub your finger on the band forwards.
- Application: Hold wig upside down from nape area with both thumbs on either side of label. Raise wig up to head as if trying to hook the front of wig onto your eyebrows. Gently pull wig over the top of your head and release. Adjust hairline height by placing 4 fingers across forehead, up from brow bone. Adjust left and right sides until level. Gently style.
- Wig Tape Tabs: For extra hold, sew in plastic tape tabs on the inside of the wig and attach double-sided tape to them. This will hold the wig to your scalp. Note application for without hair only.